Chicago is the largest city in the Midwest, drawing visitors from all over the world. Apart from being windy, Chicago is known for the beautiful waters of Lake Michigan and the Chicago River, remarkable architecture, vibrant commerce, exciting museums, theatres, and restaurants, and fine institutions of higher learning. Still, Chicago residents, like people everywhere, require legal services from time to time
Although Chicago is home to a multitude of lawyers, not many have as strong or widespread a reputation for excellence as Foote, Mielke, Chavez & O’Neil, LLC. We pride ourselves not only on our well-developed litigation skills but on our personal integrity and determination to protect the rights of our clients. We have a track record of successful outcomes assisting our clients in a variety of legal matters, including employment discrimination, complex litigation, workers’ compensation, personal injury, and labor union cases.
We have a history of winning substantial sums not only for large corporations, but for small businesses, employees who have been discriminated against, victims of personal injury, individuals who have been treated unfairly, and those involved in class action and labor union trials. As a matter of fact, we have won settlements and court verdicts for up to billions of dollars.
We Are Known for Providing Outstanding Service in Chicago and Its Environs
Our highly capable attorneys will always make your best interests our top priority. No matter what type of legal problem you come to us with, we will:
- Pay close attention to the details of your case
- Investigate all relevant written records, computer data, and witness accounts
- Draft, review, and file all necessary documents
- Handle all communications and negotiations with opposing counsel
- Create a compelling, persuasive courtroom strategy, so well-crafted that it may allow us to settle out of court
While we have a stable of effective trial tactics, we will always adapt them to suit your particular case and are constantly developing innovative legal techniques.
Employment law is comprised of several types of cases, all of which we are prepared to handle skillfully, including:
- Discrimination in the workplace continues to plague our workplaces. If you are an individual who has suffered unfair hiring practices, inferior working conditions, failure to be promoted or receive bonuses, sexual harassment, or wrongful termination because you are a member of a protected class, we will gladly defend your rights either in an individual case or as part of a class-action lawsuit. We will use the strength of state and federal laws to protect you from being discriminated against because of: your age, national origin, race, skin color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
- Wage and hour disputes arise when your employer attempts to deny you minimum wage or overtime, often by misclassifying you as an exempt employee or an independent contractor.
- Environmental and safety concerns in the workplace in which you are being expected to work in dangerous, unsanitary, or toxic environmental conditions should never be tolerated.
- Problems with non-compete agreements or contract disputes can be tricky, but we will work hard to resolve them.
- Issues pertaining to the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) may arise. If your employer tries to deny your right to take unpaid leave for the birth or adoption of a child or the illness of yourself or a close relative, we will protect your freedom.
We know just how traumatic such employment problems can be and we will pull out all the stops to win you appropriate damages for lost income and emotional distress.
Complex litigation involves:
- Multiple or complicated legal issues
- Development of cases through penetrating discovery channels
- Multiple parties
In the field of complex litigation, our attorneys deal with a broad spectrum of cases, including:
- Business and commercial disputes (e.g breach of contract, deceptive trade practices)
- Consumer fraud
- Security litigation
- International disputes
- Internet and technology disputes
- Whistleblower/Qui Tam actions
- RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act)
Because complex litigation often challenges unclear legal precedents, it requires specially trained lawyers like ours.
Although workers in certain industries (e.g. mining, construction, and firefighting) are much more likely to be injured at work than executives or professionals, any employee can be hurt on the job. Whether the accident is the result of employer negligence or not, the employee is entitled to workers’ comp. Only a few workplace injuries aren’t covered: those that are self-inflicted, those that are received during horseplay, and those that occur during the commission of a crime. Also, federal employees, coal miners, and longshoremen are covered by federal workers’ compensation policies, not the state benefits available to other workers.
The lawyers at Foote, Mielke, Chavez & O’Neil understand how difficult it is to be unable to work due to an injury and how dependent most employees are on receiving workers’ compensation. When you come to us, you will find that we make your cause our cause and will do everything in our power to see to it that you receive the workers’ compensation benefits you deserve, whether the agency classifies you as simply needing medical care or as having a:
- Temporary total disability (TTD)
- Temporary partial disability (TPD)
- Permanent total disability (PTD)
Workers’ comp also provides death benefits for surviving family members of victims who have tragically suffered a wrongful death.
In some cases, a third party, such as the manufacturer of a defective product or a contractor or subcontractor, may be responsible for a worker’s injury. If this is true in your case, our attorneys will file a lawsuit against the offending party and fight vigorously to obtain damages above whatever amount you have received from workers’ comp.
Personal Injury and Chicago Labor Union Cases
Our practice also regularly handles personal injury and labor union matters. In both areas, we have an impressive history of success. No matter whether you come to us as an individual client or as a member of a labor union, we will deal with you as a whole person, worthy of our best efforts and our respect.
Contact Our Experienced Chicago Employment Attorney Today!
The attorneys of Foote, Mielke, Chavez & O’Neil are consummate professionals. Whatever your legal problem is, we will approach it with skill and determination. Contact us now so we can begin working on your case.