Employees deserve to be treated fairly by their employer and be given an equal opportunity to be hired regardless of their age. Your work ethic and ability to perform a job well should be what your employer sees when interviewing, hiring or managing you. Unfortunately, many employers evaluate other, personal aspects of your life. Far too often, employers look at employees as human capital — assets and liabilities they can either benefit from or be responsible for. The result of this evaluation is often discrimination against certain workers, sometimes on the basis of their age.
Fortunately, both federal and state laws offer comprehensive employee protections against age discrimination in the workplace. The following laws offer employees who are 40 years of age or older special protections aimed at preserving an employee’s rights in the workplace:
- Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967
- The Older Workers Benefit Protection Act
- Illinois Human Rights Act
If you are 40 years of age or older, and believe you have faced age discrimination either in the hiring process or while working for an employer, make sure you have an experienced Chicago employment law attorney to assert your rights.
An Experienced Chicagoland Employment Law Firm That Cares About Workers
At Foote, Mielke, Chavez & O’Neil, LLC, our employment law practice is devoted to helping workers, and that means helping you. Contact us today to arrange a consultation and discuss your concerns regarding:
- Discrimination during the interviewing and hiring process;
- Wrongful termination and firing as a result of your age (40 and older);
- Pay discrepancies among workers of a different age who perform the same work with the same level of experience;
- Limited training or an unwillingness to train workers of a certain age;
- Failure to offer benefits to workers of a certain age;
- Harassment or hostile work environment issues that are driven by prejudices against workers of a certain age.
Reach Out To Our Experienced Employment Attorneys
Whether you are struggling with biased job assignments, promotions, layoffs, training or mistreatment in the workplace, contact our Illinois offices in Chicago or Geneva to reach an experienced lawyer. We can be reached online or by telephone at 630-232-7450, and we serve clients throughout the Chicagoland area.