A lifelong member of the Fox Valley area, G. Alexander McTavish was born and raised in Elgin and became associated with the Aurora law firm of Ruddy, Myler, Ruddy & Fabian in 1980. In 1983 McTavish became a partner with the firm which ultimately became Myler, Ruddy & McTavish. In 2013, two of the partners of Myler, Ruddy & McTavish retired and Mr. McTavish decided to wind up the operations of that firm in order to become associated with Foote, Mielke, Chavez & O’Neil, LLC.
Since 1980, Mr. McTavish has concentrated his practice in the areas of commercial and business law with a specialty in the areas of bankruptcy, loan restructuring and business reorganizations on behalf of both debtors and creditors. Mr. McTavish has acted as an assignee for the benefit of creditors in many cases and has successfully managed the liquidation of businesses, both in and outside of the bankruptcy process, in order to provide the greatest return to creditors while preserving the personal assets of business owners to the greatest degree possible.
Mr. McTavish also practices in the area on consumer bankruptcy and represents individual clients in Chapters 7, 13 and 11, in nondischargeability matters, in the prosecution and defense of avoidance actions and in a variety of other bankruptcy and commercial litigation.
Mr. McTavish has, since 1990, incorporated the villages of Lily Lake, Virgil, Kaneville, and Big Rock in Kane County as well as several other municipal corporations and continues to represent several of them today. In addition to municipal law, Mr. IcTavish has represented clients in the areas of zoning and development, and real estate.
Mr. McTavish served on the Kane County Board from 1992 to 1994 and acted as its counsel as a special assistant states attorney from 1994 through 1998. He was also appointed Chairman of the Kane County Public Building commission in 1994 and served in that position until 2012.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial and Business Law
- Loan Restructuring
- Business re-organizations
- Consumer Bankruptcy
- Commercial Litigation
- Municipal Law
- Zoning and Development
- Real Estate
- 10% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Illinois, 1977
- U.S. Court of Appeals 7th Circuit, 1984
- U.S. District Court Central District of Illinois, 1977
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Illinois, 1977
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Illinois, 1977
- University of Illinois College of Law, Champaign, Illinois
- Juris Doctorate
- Rutgers University
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Kane County Board, Counsel, 1992 – 1994
- Kane County Board, Special assistant states attorney, 1994 – 1998
- Kane County Public Building commission, Chairman, 1994 – 2012
Past Employment Positions
- Aurora law firm of Ruddy, Myler, Ruddy & Fabian / Myler, Ruddy & McTavish, Partner, 1980 – 2013