Discrimination Based On Ethnicity And National Origin
If you have experienced discrimination in your Chicago workplace because of your ethnicity or national origin, you are entitled to compensation for your mistreatment. Both federal and Illinois state law protect you from such injustice and the experienced employment discrimination attorneys at FMCO Law are well-prepared to defend your rights. Our practice is known for our empathy as well as for our excellent legal representation.
While we prefer to settle out of court, if it becomes necessary we will fight aggressively at trial to win you meaningful damages. Your initial consultation is free and you will owe us nothing until we recover for you. Our law team has a combined record of winning more than $15 billion in verdicts and settlements over our decades in practice. Contact us today to find out whether you have a winnable case and to discuss your legal options.
Chicago, Like Most Large Cities In The US, Is Diverse
In addition to the mix of races in the Chicago area, a variety of ethnic groups reside here. Whatever your national origin or ethnicity, you are very unlikely to be the only one with your background in Chicago. Don’t let yourself be bullied, harassed, or treated unfairly because of your appearance, diet, customs, or accent. Contact FMCO Law for the legal and moral support you deserve.
The Law Is on Your Side
In Illinois, your right to work without discrimination is protected by two laws:
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII) forbids discrimination against protected classes, including ethnicity and national origin, in the workplace and elsewhere
- The IL Human Rights Act forbids discrimination against ancestry and national origin
In addition, Chicago has its own Human Rights Ordinance and Fair Housing Ordinance. All of these laws protect you not only in terms of employment, but in terms of housing, public accommodations, credit, and financial transactions.
Unfortunately, although these laws are on the books and frequently enforced through litigation, they are also often flouted. The best way to avoid being victimized is to seek the services of a strong discrimination attorney.
How To Spot Discrimination Based On Ethnicity And National Origin In The Workplace
Because of the laws against discriminatory practices, most employers who discriminate try to hide to cover their tracks and to pretend to be fair-minded. Still, evidence of discrimination because of your ethnicity or national origin may be obvious when you experience one of the following while other employees of different backgrounds do not:
- Being refused an interview or not being hired in spite of your credentials and work experience
- Failing to be promoted or given an earned bonus
- Being paid less than other employees for the same job
- Being more harshly punished than other employees for the same offenses
- Being wrongfully demoted or terminated
- Being forced to work in an inferior location or under inferior conditions
- Not being permitted to have direct customer/client contact
- Not being offered training programs or travel opportunities that might help you advance in the company
- Having to do more menial tasks than other employees in the same position
Discrimination may be particularly noticeable if this pattern of behavior at your place of employment targets not just you but others with minority backgrounds. It is also worth noting that if your employer mistakenly discriminates against you for a perceived ethnicity or national origin, that employer is still breaking the law.
How Our Employment Lawyers Can Help With Your Ethnicity Discrimination Claim
Once you become our client, we will take over all logistical and legal matters, including:
- Conducting an investigation of your employer’s present protocol and behavior
- Interviewing witnesses, such as hiring managers, supervisors, coworkers, human resources personnel
- Determining whether prior discrimination claims have been filed against your employer
- Taking over communications with your employer and their attorneys
- Obtaining and reviewing personnel records and hiring advertisements
- Preparing a winning legal strategy
- Working to negotiate a fair settlement
- Filing an employment discrimination lawsuit if necessary
- Litigating forcefully in your best interests
Damages We Will Fight For
Discrimination does not just humiliate and damage one’s pride; it also results in serious financial losses. At FMCO Law, we are well aware of this and will do everything in our power to get you economic and non-economic compensation for:
- Back wages
- Front pay
- Lost benefits (e.g., health insurance, retirement benefits)
- Bonus payments
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Attorney fees and court costs
If your employer’s conduct was particularly egregious, we may also be able to persuade the court to award you punitive damages, designed to punish your employer and ward off such misconduct in other businesses. In some cases, the court may also be required to provide equitable remedies by, for instance, reinstating you after a wrongful termination or promoting you to a position you have long deserved.
Contact Our Experienced Ethnicity/National Origin Discrimination Attorneys Today
At FMCO Law, we recognize that every person’s national origin and ethnicity are qualities to be proud of and that no one should be treated with contempt. We are dedicated to standing up for this principle every day, both in and out of the courtroom. Contact us now to find out what it feels like to have powerful attorneys protecting your right to earn a living and your right to be treated with respect.